“It might be shocking to someone to find out that his poop is color green, but for someone who is use to see it will consider it normal. But is it really normal to have a green poop?”
For as long as you don’t feel any unusual body pain, blood in your stool, diarrhea or some kind of stomach discomforts you should be okay.
Stool color is generally influenced by what you eat as well as by the amount of bile in your stool. It can also be a sign of serious illness as you will find out in the latter part of this article.
What Causes Green Poop?
1. Lots of green vegetables in your diet – Plants are green because they contain a pigment called chlorophyll. They also have other pigments such as xanthophyll which is yellow in color and carotenoids that has yellows, oranges and reds. But all these color combination make different shades of green. No doubt when we eat a lot of green vegetables our poop will become green too. But this is normal and not alarming.
2. Green poop can also occur after you consume certain medications, algae, spirulina, iron supplements or any foods that are rich in iron can give stool a green color.
3 For a breastfeeding baby, green stool is a normal in the first days after delivery.
4. Artificial coloring or food dye such as in flavored drink mixes or ice pops, Kool-Aid, popsicles, and gelatin.
“Green poop occasionally be the result from eating liquorice candy, as it is typically made with anise oil rather than liquorice herb and is predominantly sugar. Excessive sugar consumption or a sensitivity to anise oil may cause loose, green stools.”wikipedia.org
5. We also mentioned about the bile that aids the process of digestion of lipids in the small intestine – a yellow-green fluid that digests fats and turn the stool color into brown. If you eat food that is hard to digest, your liver had to produce more bile in order to move food through your system. But if your stool is still green by the time it is excreted from the body, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast than normal to be changed to brown. We call this the rapid transit or decreased colonic transit time, and this could result in diarrhea that is green in color.
- So feces can be green due to having large amounts of unprocessed bile in the digestive tract. So the next time you will have a green poop is probably because the stool passed too quickly through the large intestine.
6. Severe diarrhea: you may also notice that your stool can turn green if you suffer from severe diarrhea. This can be caused by excessive amount of dangerous bacterial in your digestive tract. In this case you may also notice the very bad smell because of the harmful bacteria multiplying in your intestine.
7. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and Ulcerative colitis can make the color of your stool green. This can be accompanied by digestive discomforts. If you feel you are suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and Ulcerative colitis, see your doctor immediately to minimize your risk of injury and get the needed treatments.
8. Other possible causes of a green poop:
- Malabsorption, laxatives, celiac disease, antibiotics, food poisoning ,crohn’s disease, bacterial overgrowth, infectious diarrhea such as; salmonella and giardia, and can also be cancer.
If your green poop never change and you are not consuming lots of green vegetables, taking iron supplements, algae or any food with suspected green coloring in it, and especially if you are experiencing severe diarrhea or bleeding problem visit your doctor right away. Doing some research in the internet is not always the solution of your problem as many new illnesses are coming up.