Head lice known as Pediculus humanus capitis are yellowish-white, oval-shape, wingless insects that live in human head close to the scalp. They feed on blood and laying their eggs or nits on the scalp. Lice easily transfer form head to head via hair brushes, combs, clothing, beddings and pillows. Children get headlice quickly because of close contact to a classmates who have lice. Once you have head lice, you definitely feel them moving under your hair and the itch can drive you crazy. Now all you need to do is remove them as fast as you can otherwise you will spread them to everyone in your household. But how to get rid of head lice and eggs fast? Are there some home remedies for lice?
The first and common way to remove those head lice is to ask someone to take time to scan and get them one by one from your head. Mature lice are about the size of a sesame seed, and they are very fast to hide under the hair or under the dandruff. They babies are smaller and intact underneath the hair. Manually removing lice may take long time but if someone will do it patiently and repeatedly, eventually your lice will disappear. If no one is there for that lice-removing job, then proceed to the remedies below:
- Start by using a delousing shampoo – The shampoo that is effective in eliminating head must contain the ingredients permethrin but not a shampoo with lindane. Lindane is linked to nervous system problem because it belongs to pesticide category which is not friendly to human.
- When using delousing shampoo, lather it and leave it for at least 10 minutes to be sure it will kill the lice.
- Then mix 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent water and the use it to rinse your hair. Do this by rubbing the vinegar vigorously to dissolve the bodies of the dead nits. Rinse it thoroughly to remove the vinegar odor.
- You can repeat this process after ten days and if you still get a good result proceed to the next remedy.
- Mix half cup of Olive oil with half cup of vinegar and massage it thoroughly on your scalp then cover it with a shower cap for an hour. You may rinse and do regular shampooing. Flashing more water while rinsing will help dispel all the dead lice from your hair.
- Apply mayonnaise all over your head and cover it with shower. Let is stay overnight. The next day, all the lice should be dead. Shampoo it and rinse well.
- Petroleum jelly. Apply a thick layer on your head, be sure to reach the scalp. Cover it with a shower cap and leave it for the night. Petroleum jelly can have a stifling influence on roaming head lice. You may use oil to help remove the petroleum jelly and may need a lot of shampooing.
- Essential oils – Mix 10 drops of rosemary oil, 20 drops of tea-tree oil, 15 drops of lavender oil and lemon oil. Cover it with plastic cap, doubled with a towel for an hour then shampoo and rinse it as usual.
HOW TO PREVENT HEAD LICE FROM SPREADING:
- Separate hair brushes and combs. Don’t use the ribbons, scarves, or hats from someone who has lice.
- Wash all you bedding, pillows and clothing after treating your head lice
- Be careful not to get them back again.